Head of the Laboratory
Suvorov Alexander Nikolaevich, доктор медицинских наук, профессор, член-корреспондент РАН
The laboratory was established in 1999.
The main areas of research:
– the study of pathogenicity genes for streptococci and their role in the formation of a virulent phenotype;
– study of the properties and role of genetic migratory elements in pathogenicity;
– study of the characteristics of the body’s immune responses to individual microbial antigens;
– mechanisms of post-streptococcal lesions of the heart and kidneys
– protein-receptor interactions based on the properties of the surface proteins of streptococci;
– creation of recombinant vaccine preparations based on the genes of bacterial proteins that provide protection against infection.
Currently, the main aim of the Department’s research is work on the creation of recombinant vaccines against pathogenic streptococci and pneumococci. Recombinant vaccines based on their immunogenic surface proteins have been shown to be effective in protecting against infection in various model experiments. An experimental five-component HBV vaccine (???) has been created. This work will lead to the advent of the first Russian industrial recombinant vaccines. A probiotic HBV vaccine is being developed based on the recombinant Enterococcus faecium L3 strain.
Molecular mechanisms of post-streptococcal lesions of the heart and kidneys (rheumatic heart disease and glomerulonephritis) are successfully studied during complex studies with the active participation of Academician A.A. Totolyan and Doctor of Medicine L.A. Burovaya. Several studies were conducted on animals and on clinical material (together with Swedish scientists), using the example of post-streptococcal nephropathies, confirmed the hypothesis of the leading role of IgG-binding proteins of SGA in the pathogenesis of damage to heart and kidney tissues. The series of these works were awarded the Prince of Oldenburg Prize.
Research Assistants of the Laboratory
Leonteva Galina Fedorovna
Research interests: Иммунохимия, выделение белков, создание антибактериальных вакцин нового поколения